Wednesday, November 2, 2011

oh, hi there!

Hello, and welcome to Cassimus cooks! I am Cassimus and well, I like to cook, discover new recipes, create my own recipes, and oh- eat! My super-rad husband E and I tend to spend way too much  lots of quality time together planning meals, elbow-to-elbow in the kitchen, or stuffing our faces {mostly stuffing our faces}and so I have decided to create a little space to keep track of our food-related happenings - and here we are!


Now, down to business.  Let's talk veggies! Why start there? Maybe because I have an unhealthy -no, actually i guess it's healthy - obsession with vegetables. I'm not kidding. I would rather eat a big plate of vegetables than candy..chocolate..are you freaked out now?

Lately we have been experimenting with roasting our vegetables. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that roasting is THE way to cook em!  So far we have roasted butternut squash {yes, i know its not a vegetable} brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, even kale!

We'll  start with the non-veggie first. Butternut squash. oh, how I love butternut squash. We first discovered this little fall gem our first year of marriage. since then it has graced our soups, pastas, even salads( not so awesome). Finally we decided that that's all well and good, but really it's best as a solo side dish...



~~ Roasted Butternut Squash ~~    


Ingredients

1 medium/large butternut squash (peeled and cubed)

( we only use the skinny part for roasting, the thick part we either cut in half and cook like a sweet potato or turn into soup) 

Roughly 2 tbs rosemary (we used dried. because that what we had)

1 tbs Paprika

1 tsp Allspice

3 cloves of garlic - minced

Enough extra virgin olive oil to coat

Salt and pepper 

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400

Add all ingredients to a bowl and toss to coat

Spread squash out evenly on baking sheet


Roast squash for 45 min. to an hour (turning occasionally) until crispy



Seriously...


Tomorrow we'll have yet another roasted vegetable { this time its a REAL vegetable} and some funky baked potatoes!


have a lovely Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Leave some love!