Thursday, November 3, 2011

Swedish style potatoes and more roasted happiness

Happy Friday Eve, everyone!

The weather today is beautiful, sunny, chilly, and the trees are full of amazing fall colors. Which means although its only 10:30, I'm already thinking of what I'm going to make for dinner to match the weather. I love fall/winter meals!  Maybe vegetable soup...hmm...anyway.


Last night I went grocery shopping. Alone. And it was surprisingly pleasant. Now dont get me wrong, I LOVE grocery shopping..but I'm not sure if I've actually completed a real grocery trip {as one more than just a few items} by myself since E and I got married. But,  E had class, and I was desperate. So, I took my mile-long list to the store . To my surprise the grocery store in a Wednesday evening is NOT a mad house. I must remember this...

I got us all stocked up on veggies, turkey bacon, too many avocados, and salmon. Ugh.  I hate salmon. Unfortunately fish is good for you, and we recently found out that our beloved tilapia is not as nutritious as we thought. Lame. Sigh...so I'm on the hunt for some good salmon recipes..you know, like that would cover up the salmon flavor :)

Last nights dinner was so simple, it's stupid. Also, I finally tried a recipe that I found on pinterest. Oh, I love that website so much..anyway, the recipe I decided on was a sliced baked potato recipe - according to the source, it's the swedish version of baked potatoes. It's SO simple! but so stinkin good. and pretty darn healthy, I might add.




~~ Swedish Potatoes ~~

Ingredients

2-4 baking potatoes

3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

2 tbs extra virgin olive oil

butter {obviously}

sea salt and pepper

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 425

Wash and clean baking potatoes {Let dry a little before slicing}

Lay potatoes flat side down, and beginning at one end, make thin slices almost all the way through the potato 

insert garlic slices in open slits of the potato

drizzle with olive oil, add salt and pepper

add small pieces of butter to the top of the potato as desired { I used some frozen butter and grated it over the top }

Cook in oven for about 45 minutes, or until soft


Luckily both Veggies cooked at the same temperature..love it when that happens!

add a little more olive oil or butter and eat that sucker! 

The potato slices were so soft you could literally just pull them off of the potato like a chip. SO good. 



And, of course, we apparently can't have a meal without a roasted vegetable, so our other dinner item was roasted brussels sprouts. FRICK these little babies are good. And, just like the potatoes, incredibly simple {yay!}.
~~ Roasted Brussels Sprouts ~~
(adapted from this amazing gal's recipe)

 Ingredients

brussels sprouts
{however many you want. Trust me, you'll want a good amount }

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Salt and pepper

 lemon juice 

Instructions



Preheat oven to 425 

Trim ends off brussels sprouts and cut in half



place brussels sprouts, cut side down, onto a tin foil lined baking sheet

drizzle with olive oil, add salt and pepper

cook for about 12 minutes, then flip those babies over, and stick them back in the oven for about 15 more minutes until crispy and amazing!


squeeze a little lemon juice over the batch and eat. them. 

ladies and Gentlemen, THAT'S dinner.




The verdict is still out for tonights dinner.. possibly some zucchini chips, mustard greens, and *shudder* salmon....but i'm still thinkin' vegetable soup.

Have a lovely day!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Leave some love!